Friday, June 17, 2011

Dehydration and Sports Drinks

Sports drinks are the same as oral rehydration salts (ORS), which are prescribed for individuals who are dehydrated to help to replace electrolytes that have been lost due to illness.

Sports Water Bottle, with melon, orange, berries,

Summer 2008 was the first time I had ever traveled abroad. I was on the J1 visa work and travel summer job program in the United States. I worked at an amusement park located in the midwest, as a photographer and would spend most of my days in the sweltering heat photographing the guests and capturing memorable moments from during their visit. 

Even though it was summer, I assumed that I would have had no problems adjusting to the warm weather, because I am from a tropical climate in Jamaica. I was very wrong, and within the first two weeks working in this climate, and despite being advised to keep myself hydrated, I still started suffering from dehydration. While I was seeking medical help I was advised to buy some sports drinks.

Now, before all of this, I did not drink sports drinks because I didn't like how they taste, I would at most drink coconut water or a Lucozade which really tastes like soda. I also knew that sports drinks had a high sugar content. Water had always been touted as the best option for rehydration and so it was another reason for me to not consider drinking sports drinks.  However, after walking around the park (more than two miles) multiple times in the day, in the hot, humid weather, in the sun each day, I was definitely susceptible to dehydration.

Sports drinks are the same as oral rehydration salts (ORS), which are prescribed for individuals who are dehydrated to help to replace electrolytes that have been lost due to illness. "Sports drinks are extremely popular. You see the commercials and you feel that you need them to perform better. Well, as with everything fitness these days- the facts are twisted. Unless you are involved in an endurance activity for over 60 minutes, you do not need energy or a sports drink. What you need is water and only water. Endurance training for over 60 minutes, you'll need energy or a sports drink containing up to 8% carbs to replace fluid and dwindling glycogen stores. Drinking sports drinks when you don't need to will actually lead to weight gain.  Sports drinks are calories and if you consume more than you need even those calories will turn into stored fat.

Black Man drinking a sports drink and holding a basketball after a workout

Even if you do need energy or a sports drink you will need to think about serving size, carb percentage, and sodium. Sometimes one bottle contains 4 servings! And you could easily end up consuming 60 calories per serving, that's a lot of calories. Always check the carb percentage, it should not be above 8%. And finally, choose the drink with less sodium. One serving can easily contain 110mg which is 5% of RDI and if you drink 4 servings in one bottle, that adds up to 20% of RDI.

Energy and sports drinks are just sugared water, even though they are great for endurance exercise, never drink these when you are simply thirsty on a hot day."  Personal Trainer Zandra

Suffice it to say I spent that summer drinking a lot of sports drinks. If you are not participating in extremely physically taxing activities, sports drinks are the same as sodas for your body. Water is still the best option. So do a little more research before you consume another one. 


0 comments: