Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chocolate at the Elliott Farm

Cocoa powder being scooped out a container with a spoon
Cocoa Powder 

Last week I took a trip to Point Hill, a district in the cool hills of St Catherine. On this trip, I  discovered many cool things. I'll eventually get to all of these discoveries but I'll begin with my discovery of the Cocoa Tree.

Yellow ripe cocoa pod
Ripe Cocoa Pod 


We arrived at the family home and decided that we wanted to have some Otaheite Apples to eat and bring home with us.  As we walked through the property I noticed these trees with colorful leaves and weird-looking pods, it was the cocoa tree. Of course, I wanted to take a closer look, however, all the pods had holes in them that were from rats feeding on them (eew, I know!), so to my disappointment, we were not able to pick and examine those. 


As we continued our journey to find Apples, we came upon a second cluster of cocoa trees that had pods that were undisturbed. I was very surprised when I was offered the pod to taste and immediately declined. After everyone else tasted it I decided to give it a try and it was so yummy. The seeds inside the pod are sweet, with a rosy aroma, I couldn't stop and soon I was the designated cocoa pod holder. 


Opened cocoa pod opened to reveal the seeds
Opened Cocoa Pod 


We eventually got our apples and went to the pepper farm. More on that in coming posts.

On our original run, I did not take any pictures so before we decided to head home I went back to the tree to get a pod so I could share it with you all.


Cocoa seeds that were cut in half
Cocoa Seeds 


I also received the finished product after the cocoa beans are dried and made into chocolate. The stone-like things are used to make chocolate tea. I was told to grate them into boiling water, add spices such as nutmeg, add my milk and sugar and I'll be good to go. I haven't yet tried it but I'll let you know how it turns out.

I would absolutely love to visit when they are making the actual chocolate. Consider it a future assignment. In the meantime, you can visit these sites to find out more about making chocolate. How to make chocolate

How to make chocolate from scratch 



Cocoa balls used to make chocolate tea
Cocoa Balls 




0 comments: