Monday, October 4, 2010

Grow Jamaican, Buy Jamaican, Eat Jamaican

     “The simplest and most cost-effective way to achieve food security is usually through creating a home garden.”                   


Herbs growing in small pots


As someone who has a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition, a core function of my profession as a Dietitian or Nutritionist is to help my client to achieve food security. The simplest and most cost-effective way to achieve this is usually through creating a home garden. As someone who grew up in the parish that is considered the breadbasket of the island due to a lot of farming taking place there, eating from our gardens, and receiving and giving food as gifts are just a way of life. I, therefore, had never had a second thought about advising someone to start a garden at home. It was a no-brainer for me and having to move to the city to complete my tertiary education and staying there to work, I decided to begin my own home garden. 


I excitedly informed my sister of my plans and started daydreaming of all the money I would save, just the thought solidified my conviction that this was indeed my calling. I thought of how amazing it would be for me to plant my own food, no more awkward selecting and weighing produce to have to quietly put back on the display after seeing the final price. I would now quietly judge my fellow shoppers for wasting money on these expensive foods that I am getting for free. 



Assorted Vegetables with cabbage, tomatoes, onion, cucumber and eggplants


As you would expect, my sister rolled her eyes and said "okay come on!" as she accompanied me to purchase the seeds at a prominent farm store. She convinced me to buy only two packets of seeds, just in case I didn't follow through, so we purchased string beans and peppers.


Let me just say that at this point, that I have a newfound respect for farmers, because, after that first morning spent in the sun preparing my garden I was convinced that I had discovered some new-age workout routine, and this was a reasonable method of keeping fit, I was in pain from head to toe.


It is now six months later, and I have only just prepared my garden a month ago and I am still waiting on my plants. In my case, I live in a shared yard and I am positive that my garden will not be given a chance to thrive by overzealous landscapers but I am still grateful for the experience. This has put a lot into perspective. Food security is hard to achieve because the average person does not possess the skills needed to produce food, and although this is a recommendation made to people who honestly are not healthy or else they wouldn't need to see us, it is not very realistic. I'll stick to planting Spanish thyme. 


Farmers are the professionals and they should be rewarded for their dedication to the job of feeding the nation. Achieving food security means, supporting locally produced foods as this helps society not just nutritionally, but also economically. Growing up in a rural area, I did not have access to as many material things, nor was I as exposed as my urban counterparts, but I was never, food insecure, so although technically I was poor I really wasn't. This was due to the fact that we always had something growing at home, whether herbs, seasoning, vegetables, fruit, we were never hungry. 


I am willing to learn how to continue doing this in an urban space, but it is hard. So yes, I believe we should buy Jamaican, but Grow Jamaican?? I didn't succeed on my first try, however, I still challenge you to make an attempt. 


Feel free to comment.


Farmer in the field working






2 comments:

Happy Go Locky "isms" said...

Buy Jamaican all the way, let the professionals do their jobs for real! Buy Jamaican and Nutritionist, the professionals, will guide you through the healthy preparation of these Jamaican foods!

Jamaican Food Savvy said...

Thank you and welcome to my blog Taryn.